Starting in 2013 and going into 2014, Cal State Monterey Bay will rethink the design and underlying technical platform of its web presence, paying particular attention to how everything works and looks on mobile devices (which will be 25% of our traffic in 2014). The rethink will impact CSUMB.EDU, MyCSUMB, Schedule, Catalog, and more.
Help us test the navigation on the new site!
- First set of style tiles are available (April 7, 2014)
- Four Kitchens begins discovery (February 18, 2014)
- Four Kitchens wins the big (December 19, 2013)
- Request for Quotation announced (October 10, 2013).
- Overview of the project (October 7 2013).
- CSUMB.EDU content audit
This process began with a discovery phase during the Fall 2013 semester. Web Services is working with students, future students, faculty, staff, parents and others to discover the needs, wants and frustrations with their web experiences related to a variety of topics, both academic and non-academic. In other words, "How can we do this better?"
- Read our blog! We post in general about web-related topics but include specifics on the discovery process and the progress we make.
- Meet with us! In addition to our Technology Open Labs, we have scheduled discovery sessions and usability office hours.
- Feedback! Let us know how we can do things better.
Based on the feedback gathered during discovery, Four Kitchens will work with Web Services & University Communications to create a separate project site. Gains will include upgrading to the latest version of Drupal and creating a more seamless and customized experience for users on- and off-campus.
When development is done and tested with focus groups, we will launch a beta version for public viewing and further testing.
After iterating changes based on that round of feeback, we'll launch the rethought CSUMB.EDU.
Below is a rough timeline of the work the Rethink team will perform:
- February - Discovery
- March - Development
- April - Development, pre-alpha launch
- May - Development, alpha launch
- June - Testing (end of Four Kitchens contract)
- July - Testing, beta launch
- August - Production launch